Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Small things are sometimes innately satisfying

Like this little bit of woodworking.

Sometimes termed a "Dutchman," it's simple purpose is to prevent the crack from worsening.  It's placement preserves the board for it's intended purpose, while adding to the beauty and interest of the piece.  Note that the grain of the Dutchman is place to maximize it's strength in holding the wood together - a small but critical point.

The job done inlaying it in is nearly perfect.  This is just a picture I found on the web somewhere - I didn't do it - but I liked it as soon as i saw it. One day I'll get good enough to do something similar, if I practice.

Excuse me while I smile.


4 comments:

  1. I aspire to that level of skill in woodworking. I am not there yet. Still, even making sawdust is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if that dutchman will age to match the table?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go ye forth to Sippican Cottage. Sip' does woodwork, music, and so much more. He regularly features If You Make Things You Are My Brother videos. Here's the first one I found on a quick search. Many more on his blog.

    http://sippicancottage.blogspot.com/2014/11/if-you-make-things-you-are-my-brother.html

    ReplyDelete