Thursday, March 28, 2013


Today the Farm Wife was inspired to use Doug, the wild yeast, to make a rustic sourdough. It is an all afternoon proposition, with two rises ( which she accomplished by putting the dough in one of the cars with the windows up - the temp in there was perfect for the yeastie bugs to do their work), but the result is superb. 

She's the one that inspired me to try my hand at making bread from scratch, and you can see why here.

The Nineteen Year old is even now taking knife to the loaf, and is melting real butter in the microwave.

   Think I can get her to bring me a slice?


3 comments:

  1. All right, a guy that names his wild yeast! Does that imply a sourdough starter created from yeast that was gathered from wild grapes or something? The bread looks great. http://blog.getconnectedllc.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent question. One of my new year's resolutions was to try to capture a wild yeast, and there are naturally plenty of places on the internet that will tell you how. You are quite correct that grapes are known to be a great source of wild yeast, but truth to tell, i got mine from whole wheat flour. I named the yeast because with proper care and feeding, they can last decades, and become a member of the family. So, I now have three kids, one wife, two dogs, one cat from the pound, five chickens.... and Doug, the wild yeast.

      Delete
    2. Brings to mind that a sourdough starter made from cultured yeast might best be referred to as Douglas. I've been meaning to try a starter from yeast from wild grapes or wild juniper berries. The picture of your bread and the elevation of the starter to "family member" gives me further motivation. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete