Tuesday, April 24, 2012


That big boom that was heard over Northern California and Nevada the other day turns out to be caused by an asteroid the size of a minivan that blew up deep in the atmoshpere at the point marked in yellow above.

The location of the pop was done by triangulating the sound from several locations.

No one identified this rock coming in, so it was a complete surprise to everyone.  That thing exploded not so far from my house.  Lucky for me that it wasn't another Tunguska sized rock, or there might not have been a happy ending.

3 comments:

  1. I did, but did'nt think anything of it, cause it wasn't all that loud where I am, and I was in the house. It was only later when it made the news that I realized what it was. Like I was telling Lou the other day, just about a year and a half ago there was another event like this that happened over Tuolumne County, and that one had people snooping around on the ground for fragments (nobody found any). I'd bet that this kind of thing happens more often than we are aware, or perhaps than we would like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are due. Sooner or late we will get hit I'm sure of that.

    ReplyDelete